Saturday, May 3, 2008

Does your life really go before your eyes?

You know when some people say that their life went blazing before their eyes at the moment of near death? It didn't happen for me. I was gone all this past week with my daughter finally getting her prosthetic leg (story somewhere below). On our way we had an accident on the interstate. It was raining and we did this : Hydroplaning by a road vehicle occurs when a layer of water builds between the rubber tires of the vehicle and the road surface, leading to the loss of traction and thus preventing the vehicle from responding to control inputs such as steering, braking or accelerating. It becomes, in effect, an unpowered and unsteered sled. That's exactly the feeling 'unpowered', helpless. You literally take off like a plane! All of a sudden, with no warning. We were in the right lane of the interstate, went cross the left into the median and at some point did a couple complete circles and hit a steel cabled fence in the middle of the grassy median and came to a stop but still after hitting the fence and turning again! You can imagine what 2 girls were doing while this was going on ..... screaming! After waiting for the state trooper to come and calling the insurance and my husband we were on our way again to SC, in another vehicle. My husband and son had to drive 2 hours to us and give me another vehicle to use the rest of the trip.

What do you do after something like that? You give all the praise and glory to the Lord for protecting you. I have no doubt His hand was on us. The location had a lot to do with surviving it. The median was very wide and flat, lots of grass. We noticed coming home yesterday where there is little space between the oncoming lanes and where there were no fence at all or where it was a solid type guard rail separating the lanes and the median was narrow. Had it happened elsewhere it would have involved other cars and no happy ending. God is Good! Thank you Lord!

7 comments:

Robin said...

OMG!!!! I'm so glad you guys are okay.

Rose Red said...

Oh how awful, I can only imagine how scared you all must have been. I'm very glad you are all ok.

Leslie said...

That sounds terrifying! I am so glad you are all okay!

Anonymous said...

You both must have been so shaky & numb. So scary! Glad that everything turned out OK.

Anonymous said...

Diana! I'm so glad you're all okay! The Lord is good!

Kim :-)

Junie Moon said...

What a nightmare experience! I'm so glad that everyone is okay, what a blessing that is!

Gumbo Lily said...

Thank you God.
~Jody